Research in recent years has shown that children with dyscalculia can be taught maths if certain specific points in their understanding of maths are addressed. If this approach can be followed by the adoption of particular methods of teaching by the teacher and methods of learning by the pupils, then these children can readily reach the average standard of the class.
What’s more the techniques that are known to work well with dyscalculic pupils also work well with pupils who have an average ability at maths.
The book outlines a series of individual methods of teaching maths, which is followed by a series of methods of learning which will benefit all pupils, irrespective of their levels of mathematical achievement. It also contains information on enhancing pupil memory and pupil ability to handle sequences. The methods can be adapted and used with all age groups. The approaches can be used by special needs teachers in small group or individual sessions, and can also be used within full class lessons.
Methods of Teaching Maths to Pupils with Dyscalculia also contains information for parents as well as information on how homework can be structured to the maximum benefit of dyscalculic pupils.
Methods of Teaching Maths to Pupils with Dyscalculia: ISBN: 978 1 86083 688 6; Order code: T1630emn
Sample pages can be found on http://pdf.firstandbest.co.uk/dyscalculia/T1630.pdf
The volume is available as:
- A photocopiable book, price £24.95 plus £3.95 delivery inclusive of VAT.
- On CD, price £24.95 plus £3.95 delivery inclusive of VAT.
- Both book and CD at special price of £31.94 plus £3.95 delivery inclusive of VAT.
You can purchase the book:
- By post to First and Best, Hamilton House, Earlstrees Ct., Earlstrees Way, Corby, NN17 4HH
- On the phone with a school order number at 01536 399 011
- By fax to 01536 399 012
- On line with a credit card at http://shop.firstandbest.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=459