First and Best in Education is looking for authors to write new materials that can be used in secondary schools, FE colleges and as introductory texts for university courses. Please do note that we are not currently accepting materials aimed at nursery or primary schools (except as in the note on “Management and Administration” below.)
We publish the materials in three forms: as downloads, as books which can be supplied as photocopiable masters and as materials on CD Rom. If the book contains illustrations these are also supplied by the author.
In the case of printed books our authors receive a 10% royalty on the sales and will have copies of the book lodged in the British Library and other national repositories of books.
In the case of downloads a different process is followed, and because there is no printed copy available the author receives 50% royalty.
Management and Administration
In addition to books which are aimed to support taught subject areas, we also publish a range of materials relating to school administration and management. These books cover topics ranging from making schools more efficient to running the school office, from behaviour and discipline to fund raising.
What to do
If you have a book or a download ready to be published, or indeed have an idea for a book or a download that you could write in the coming months, please do email our senior editor (address below) with the following information.
- Proposed book title and approximate length
- A guide to the contents
- Details of who the book is for and any specific features that make the book different from other books covering the same subject area.
- The level at which the book is set. For example you might say, “GCSE, aimed at weaker students to ensure they get a C rather than a D”. Or “An introduction to historical research, suitable for A level students and as an introduction for undergraduates just starting their course.”
- Any specific course or exam board that this book relates to.
- Five to ten pages of text to give us a feel for your style and approach
- A note about yourself in terms of qualifications and experience in education
About the publisher
First and Best was formed in 1993 and has published over 1000 books over the last 20 years. You can see a full catalogue of our current books on http://www.shop.firstandbest.co.uk/ Our books are sold via direct advertising to teachers and are not normally distributed via bookshops.
If your book is accepted for publication you will be offered a contract to sign and a date will be agreed for the supplying of the final text.
If you have an idea for a book or a book already written, please email Anne@firstandbest.co.uk