Understanding philosophical argument requires a knowledge of the fundamentals such as logic, argument, empiricism, rationalism, justification, scepticism…
But the study of these concepts can become rather dry and removed from the work of philosophers unless presented in a way that relates to the world of the student, taking them from their own world to these different approaches to that world.
This approach makes the concepts accessible and comprehensible to students before getting into the application of these concepts through the work of specific philosophers and their approaches.
Thus in this volume we look at moral philosophy which takes the student through utilitarianism, deontology and virtue ethics, to practical ethics looking at topics such as abortion and voluntary euthanasia, and to meta-ethics.
There is also a separate section on the philosophy of region covering ideas of God, cosmological ontological and teleological arguments, faith, reason and belief, and the implications of God’s existence.
After each argument there is an explanation – where necessary – of each part of the argument, followed by discussion of any problems or issues arising. Finally there are questions and points for discussion.
Some of the material on God and Moral Philosophy will also be useful to students of A level Religious Studies whose course includes some Philosophy of Religion and Ethics. Of particular relevance are sections on: arguments for the existence of God; faith, reason and belief; religious experience; God and morality; miracles.
There are sample pages from the photocopiable book at http://www.pdf.firstandbest.co.uk/re/T1706.pdf
Publisher’s reference: T1706EMN ISBN: 978 1 86083 771 5
- Photocopiable book: £25.95 plus £3.95 delivery
- CD with school-wide rights: £25.95 plus £3.95 delivery
- Both the book and the CD: £32.94 plus £3.95 delivery
Prices include VAT. Please quote the order ref: T1706EMN
You can purchase the book
- By post to First and Best, Hamilton House, Earlstrees Ct., Earlstrees Way, Corby, NN17 4HH
- By fax to 01536 399 012
- By phone on 01536 399 011 either with a school purchase order number or a credit card
- By email to Sales@firstandbest.co.uk with a school purchase order number.
- On line with a credit card at http://shop.firstandbest.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=536