Try Romantics specialist John Webster’s engaging new audio release ‘All About the Younger Romantics’, a six-CD boxed set with narrative by Benjamin Zephaniah and music by indie folk group Brindaband.
Supported by online resources that can be used to enhance classroom use and private study, ‘All About the Younger Romantics’ includes:
– Six CDs with a total of 22 song versions of key lyrics by the poets, drawing on around two dozen core poems and fragments.
– Songs which present the poets’ lyrics in an approachable format to introduce and familiarise students with their work. Spoken word narratives voiced by Benjamin Zephaniah on Shelley’s life and work (The Shelley Story) and Byron’s last years (Lord Byron and the Greek War) provide background for the poems and biographical detail.
– Also includes four CDs in the format of contemporary music releases:
- ‘John Keats’s sublime single’ – song versions of two Keats poems together with a mini-biography of the poet written and narrated by John Webster.
- ‘Courageous Heart: seven Byronic songs’ (reworked songs from Lord Byron and the Greek War, presented as an 18 minute EP).
- 12 song ‘solo album’ ‘Percy Bysshe Shelley: Rock Star’ of songs drawing on Shelley’s work.
- 14 track 45 minute compilation CD (‘The First Fab Four’) with songs based on all the poets’ output (also from their associate Leigh Hunt), and delivering a unique overview of the group’s literary achievements.
Presented as boxed set, ideal for school libraries. Excellent value at £29.95 (saving of £18.75 on total published prices) plus £3.95 p&p. A total of 3hrs 45 min. of programming together with extensive online resources (photographs, lyrics and commentaries, study ideas, suggestions for classroom use, and essays).
From the educational press (on The Shelley Story and Lord Byron and the Greek War):
- ‘knowledgeable and authoritative’ School Librarian;
- ‘highly appropriate for post-16 studies’ National Association for the Teaching of English in Schools magazine.
- ‘I liked these CDs, not just for their quirkiness but for what they’re trying to do’ Times Educational Supplement
More information on the CD collection, including a complete list of the poems covered, reviews, song samples and links can be found at: http://www.pathfinderaudio.co.uk/boxed_set.html
To order: Email: email@example.com. Tel/Fax: 01865 765436
Post: Pathfinder Audio, 57A Old Road, Headington, Oxford OX3 7JZ